£45-60k a year depending on experience. We are seeking a quantum consultant to join a growing team in our St Albans office.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified (MRICS or similar) quantity surveyor. You will have broad experience and a well-rounded knowledge of quantity surveying. This will include a thorough understanding of standard form contracts and the principles of valuation. You will have a good understanding of contract variations and their valuation. Ideally, you will have some experience of claims work. This is a great opportunity to learn further, with exposure to exciting disputes on major and more minor claims on UK projects. You will be skilled in written communication and attention to analytical detail in forensic project analysis.
As a business, we are involved in a range of domestic and international disputes across a range of industry sectors. We work for several high-profile clients in conjunction with major city law firms helping to resolve disputes. Current project demand is slightly biased towards civils / infrastructure-related work. Candidates with experience of working in these sectors will be of particular interest.
Responsibilities and Duties
The role is to work as a full-time employee with the role of Consultant. You will provide support to the Directors on claims & dispute resolution and dispute avoidance in the construction market. A large amount of your time will be working on large construction claims. You will also be analysing documents at an expert level, assessing and reporting any grounds for negligence or unreasonable pricings.
This work will relate to general construction claims and support relating to the role of expert witness. You will likely be involved on multiple projects and the role will offer exposure to an exciting variety of projects.
You will use your quantity surveying knowledge to forensically analyse data relating to the disputes. The role will give you the opportunity to be heavily involved in writing expert reports based on your findings. In the early stages, this role will be heavily weighted towards assisting the expert witness in gathering and analysing data relevant to the dispute.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of typical quantity surveying duties. This will include understanding the basis of pricing documents, rate build-ups and the valuation of variations.
- Gathering of data, records, contracts relevant to the dispute.
- Strong analytical skills are essential, analysing large amounts of data from an expert perspective.
- Experience of working on client site locations for either a consultancy or contractor in construction is essential.
- Candidates should have experience of working on projects in the civil / infrastructure sectors.
- Some knowledge of claims or dispute/ expert witness work would be an advantage but not essential.
- Have excellent English written skills to assist in the preparing of expert reports.
- Ability to work independently, willingness to learn and show initiative.
- A passion for disputes related work and an ambition to have a career in the expert services sector.
- Minimum 5 years post qualified to degree level or similar in quantity surveying is essential.
- Membership of a professional body such as the RICS, ICES or similar equivalent.
- Candidates expecting their full membership within the next 6 months will also be considered. The company provides support to progress.
- Relevant further qualifications / professional memberships such as MSc or LLM in construction law or MRICS are advantageous but not essential.
Employing Company Overview and Profile
We are construction claims specialists, working on construction projects in various sectors. Clients make use of our expertise on major and minor claims, as well as advice over the life cycle of a project as consultants.
Headed up by directors with experience of working for some of the most reputable brands in construction and engineering, they retain much of their work from previous engagements. We work on projects across many locations. The business provides great project exposure and an opportunity to learn about this busy aspect of construction and law.
The business is also involved in a number of innovations in construction and technology to help clients reduce the risk of disputes.
Get in touch today – send your CV to [email protected] or use the contact form below.